Friday, August 20, 2010

Footprints to My Past: The Journey Continues

19 August 2010, Thursday (9 Ramadhan)

After a hiatus of exactly a month, today I continued my footprints to my past. My sister and I paid a visit to our aunts' houses to seek more insight into our family's past. Today my journey took me to Ampang Jaya and Bandar Sri Petaling.

In Ampang Jaya, I met my aunt cum grand aunt (she's an aunt by virtue of her late husband being my late mum's first cousin; and she also doubles up as a grand  aunt as she's my late grandma's sister). Sounds complicated? Well, I discovered along my journey into my past that our family's history is really complicated, so this is just the tip of the iceberg.

If on 19 July I discovered that my grandmother was not a Chinese, today I found out more startling things. We were made to believe that my paternal grandmother was a Chinese. And after all these years, we found out she wasn't.

In Bandar Seri Petaling I met my aunt (who is my late dad's first cousin). In fact she is the last surviving member of her family. The rest have all since passed away. I was really happy to see her as I have not seen her for ages. It was exciting when she started regaling tales of yesteryears.

I can't wait to start penning down my stories. Meanwhile, my journey will continue.I started with Singapore, then Alor Setar, Kedah, and followed by Penang. Then, yesterday it was Selangor and KL. Next week,I'm going with my husband to Alor Setar and Penang again as there are a couple more relatives I need to interview.

I know it's gonna be a mammoth task to piece the giant jigsaw puzzle, and I'm aware it's such a daunting task, but I'm all game to complete what I've set out to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment