Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The sheep had returned to their pen but I had remained wide-eyed...

29 September 2010, 20 Syawal. 2.56 a.m.

Sleep had eluded me yet again, all due to a mug of Nescafe. Earlier, at about 4.30 p.m, I had a strong urge to drink caffeine-laden coffee, despite knowing how caffeine affects me.

I had been lethargic the last couple of weeks, so I wanted to be alert to work on my translation job, a PhD thesis which was commissioned to me just before the fasting month by a relative in Alor Star, Kedah. I was kind of frantic as my translation schedule is way behind time due to my hectic lifestyle.

So coffee I had consumed and I had lain awake next to my other half who is already in deep slumber and had long gone to lalaland.

I had thought that this time if I read, I may just fall asleep but, NO, to my dismay, sleep eluded me. That's how badly caffeine affected me. Hence, I had picked up a book to read, something which I had not done for a long while. Long after I had finished reading the entire book, sleep refused to descend on me. I was getting very desperate.

I was tempted to resume my translation, but didn't have the heart to disturb my husband who was fast asleep, and holding his pillow snugly to his chest.

I didn't even bother to start counting the sheep as I was certain that even after all the sheep had been counted, and had returned to their pen, I would continue to be wide awake.

So what else would a blogger do, but blog when sleep eludes her!!!

What do I do? What am I going to do? What should I do? I continued staring into the dark space, into the stillness of the night, listening to my other half's rhythmic breathing, listening to the rustling of the leaves outside my balcony, and hearing the wind chime clanging softly.

By then, I was frantic...I started praying fervently that my eyes would finally shut, they had begun to droop and I was feeling really tired, and strange images had begun to conjure in my mind..... My eyes had started playing tricks on me. 

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...................................

No comments:

Post a Comment