Friday, April 29, 2011

Ya Allah, please never again, Part 1

"Sakit tak" (was that painful?). I was repeatedly asked this question at the Radiology room, HUKM while the doctor inserted contrast into my shoulder.

I had undergone numerous medical procedures in my life but I must say that today's Contrast x-ray was, to put it succinctly, "Ouch!! That was excruciatingly painful!"

My dear hubby had taken leave today (thanks Sayang, appreciate your presence) to accompany me to HUKM as I was scheduled to undergo two MRI procedures (one for my shoulder, and another for my mid spine).

As I'm allergic to numerous painkillers and certain antibiotics (penicillin and the sulphur family), I had been prescribed prednisollone to counter any allergic reaction or asthmatic attack during the MRI procedure. I had to take 8 tablets the night before and another 8 on the morning of the procedure. I had swallowed the bitter pills reluctantly.

I must say it was really unfortunate that I had been nursing a stubborn and persistent cough, flu and sore throat the last couple of weeks (caught the flu bug in Mecca) and made worse during my recent trip to New Zealand as the weather was terribly cold. And this had precipitated my wheezing. I have been wheezing badly the last couple of days and had to be administered nebulizer twice within s span of 3 days.

And this had caused anxiety and an almost panic attack when I went to the Radiology department today as the wheezing had caused me to cough badly. During an MRI procedure, I'm not supposed to move and any coughing which will trigger body shake will affect the procedure.

My MRI appointment had been set for 11.45 a.m. As there was plenty of time before my appointment, we completed a couple of errands and went to HUKM only at 11.00 a.m.

There were only a couple of patients there so I reckoned we needn't have to wait too long. My assumption wasn' quite right as I was only called at about 12.30 p.m.

A lady radiologist approached me and ushered me outside. I was expecting to be walked to the MRI room but instead we headed towards the X-ray area which puzzled me. As we walked, the radiologist explained that they were going to perform a contrast x-ray which puzzled and surprised me as all along I had asumed that I was only slated for MRI.

The radiologist explained that I had to be administered anaesthetic and injected with contrast to see the problem area at my shoulder. Much as I was shocked by this procedure but I had no choice. I went into the x-ray room with abated breath....

No comments:

Post a Comment