Thursday, October 22, 2009

Art Attack 1

22 October 2009, Thursday 

Reflections of My Life Through Art

I've always had a deep passion for art, be it, fine art, decorative art, creative writing, photography, pastry art, floral arrangement, pottery, ceramic art, glass painting, decoupage, etc.. You named it, I've tried my hand and dabbled in it.

 
Art, as defined by Wikipedia, is the process or product of deliberately arranging elements in a way that appeals to the senses or emotions. It encompasses a diverse range of human activities, creations, and modes of expression, including music, literature, film, sculpture, and paintings. The meaning of art is explored in a branch of philosophy known as aesthetics.
When I was in school, Art used to be my favourite subject. I knew then, that through Art I could express myself freely. Art is a great way to communicate how I feel and art can also convey my different moods.
Art can empower the person, strengthens their relationships, brings peace to their heart, and joy to their life. Finding creative solutions to life's questions through art makes all the difference.
Art Therapy is a powerful tool that can help you get in touch with feelings through the creative process. Your feelings will provide the creative drive and self expression. Through the art process, individuals can often approach difficult issues and convey a message much more clearly and safely than with words.
 
Artistic expression allows the individual to create his or her own vocabulary of metaphors and symbols of imagery so that the self-discovery becomes less threatening. In addition, the artistic process itself provides a healing experience and can reveal life options not always apparent through verbal communication.
 
Art can serve as a record of these events which the individual can later reflect on and eventually understand with greater clarity. Through this process the individual gains new insights about their lives, and tools to help them achieve their goals.
When I was in secondary school in Singapore, I knew I had an innate talent in Art.  I would say my ability is not as excellent as some renowned artist, not even anywhere near my class mate, Suriani, but if you were to ask me to draw chilli, or an onion, I'm quite sure you'd have no problem identifying with those objects....
 
My friend Suriani was extremely talented.  I recalled that she loved drawing portraits (which I'm not really good at), and when she drew a group of us, her classmates, some drawn from the back angle, you would know immediately who she had drawn.  That's how good she was.
And I used to envy her talent. We both used to win poster competitions. And both our paintings used to go up on the walls in our class those days. How very proud we were at that time. And apparently, due to our talents, we were always called to draw the school murals on the walls.  Oh boy!! How I enjoyed those moments.
Check out more "Reflections of My Life Through Art" in Art Attack.

No comments:

Post a Comment