Saturday, October 3, 2009

Gastronomic Attack in Bandar Tun Razak

3 October 2009, Saturday (14 Syawal)

Today, my house will be attacked by Khairi's friends, more specifically attack of the gastronomic kind.

After several days of suffering from pounding headache and feeling blue and lethargic, miraculously I woke up with a clear head this morning. I feel so much better. Thank God.

Last night, my husband suggested that we have breakfast outside this morning as I've been cooped up in the house the last 5 days. As a matter of fact, this is the first time, since my retirement that I've stayed put in the house without going anywhere.  This time the flu and fever had really floored me. In a way it was good as I could rest my tired body and aching spine.

But when he suggested it again this morning, I declined citing all the preparations that I needed to complete before Khairi's friends attacked our house after Zuhur prayers.

So, my husband went to the nearby mamak shop to buy roti canai and tosai.  Usually, I'm passionate about such type of delicious breakfast, but this morning, I only savoured a little of each.  Perhaps, my stomach was still trying to adjust to a non-fasting state, as I had been fasting the last two days.

Right after breakfast, I fine-tuned the Kuah Kacang and Sambal Tumis Sotong.
 
And it's really yummy and finger-licking good. The Kuah Kacang was a recipe given by my eldest sister, Kak Pah. Thanks Kak Pah, it's really delectable. I'm glad you shared the recipe with me.
And my Sambal Sotong was, ooohhh.... so scrumptious and will definitely whet my poor appetite.
And the Baked Macaroni was ohhh... so cheesy and spicy.  Really yummy!!

While my maid was preparing the ingredients for the White MiHun@Kinsella that I was going to cook later, I started filling up the cookie jars with snacks, cookies, chocolates, and candies.

And later Khairi (after a little push by my husband as he was still swathed in his comforter in his bed), came down to help me with some of the cleaning up in the dining area and living room.

 
 
 
 
 
Once I'm done with the cleaning up, I went back to the kitchen to cook the White MiHun@Kinsella.  I decided to cook two separate dishes - one with beef and the other without as some of Khairi's friends cannot take beef.
 
The two Mihun dishes turned out really well and yummy too.  And my maid started to cut the Nasi Himpit into dices and cubes. Kak Pah had given me some tips on how to ensure the Nasi Himpit turned out well, and thanks to her, the Nasi Himpit turns out aromatic (pandany), with just the right texture and moisture.
I was really happy and satisfied with what I had whipped up today. It was a simple fare that I had prepared but all the dishes turned out wonderfully. I must say I'm a satisfied cook as I lay all the food on the table.
 
 
 
 
I completed all the cooking by 12:45 p.m and it was time for me to serve lunch to my husband and my two boys, Khairul and Khairi (who wanted to eat before his friends came over).
 
 
 
My maid brought up all the dishes to the family hall, so we helped ourselves to all the delicacies first.

I was really touched when my husband commented after savouring the Nasi Himpit, Kuah Kacang, Sambal Sotong, Mihun Daging and Mihun Udang and Sayur, "Sayang, the food is really good and delicious." He surely made my day. And my reply to him was, "Sayang, that was cooked with abundance of one extra ingredient, i.e. LOVE."

So, my tips to all the wannabe cooks out there, "Be very generous with that one extra ingredient, sprinkle it everywhere!"

The recipe again:
6 cups love 5 spoons hope
2 cups loyalty 2 quarts tenderness
3 cups forgiveness 4 quarts faith
1 cup friendship 1 barrel laughter

Take love and loyalty, mix it thoroughly with faith. Blend it with tenderness and hope, sprinkle abundantly with laughter. Cook it with sunshine and serve with generous helpings and abundance of love.

2 comments:

  1. No worries, princess... when you're back, I'll cook all these dishes again, and more.....

    ReplyDelete